We are Proponent
Proponent Federal Credit Union has been providing exclusive borrowing options as an alternative to for-profit banks for over 50 years. We are not-for-profit and member owned, which means lower rates, fewer fees, and more personalized service with tailored consultations. We offer a full suite of financial products and services, from Auto to Home Loans. Additionally, members enjoy enhanced virtual and digital banking features to meet their unique needs, 24/7. Everywhere Together.
YOU MAY ALREADY BE ELIGIBLE FOR MEMBERSHIP!
Membership is available to an individual in several different ways. You can apply for membership if you are part of the following:
- Employees of Roche, Inc. (Diagnostic, Molecular, Pharma, South Carolina, Genentec, and TCRC)
- Employees of LapCorp
- Employees of companies in the ON3 Business Park, Nutley, NJ (Modern Meadow, Ralph Lauren, HMH-CDI, and Eisai)
- Employees and students of Seton Hall-Hackensack Meridian Graduate School in the ON3 Business Park, Nutley, NJ
- Members of Cambridge Heights Condominium Association, Inc. Nutley, NJ
- Essex County NJ postal employees*
- Employees of the Township of Nutley, NJ
- Employees and Members of Nutley Chamber of Commerce
- Friends of the Nutley Free Public Library, Nutley, NJ
- Employees of Nutley Board of Education
- Employees of The Phoenix Center, Nutley, NJ
- Members of Old Guard of Nutley, NJ
- Employees and members of Holy Family Church, Nutley, NJ
- Members of the Rotary Club of Nutley, NJ
- Members of Nutley Irish American Association in Nutley, NJ
- Employees and members of Franklin Reformed Church, Nutley, NJ
- Employees of Abundant Life Academy of Nutley, NJ
- Employees and members of Abundant Life Worship Center, Nutley, NJ
Start your membership today!
Meet with a Member Relationship Executive
ADDITIONAL WAYS TO BECOME A MEMBER
Additionally, you can become a member if you are:
- Employees or retirees of select employer groups (SEGs)
- Immediate family of existing member
- Household members of an existing member
Immediate family is defined as grandparents, parents, spouse, siblings, children, or grandchildren (including similar relations through adoption and by marriage). Household member is defined as persons permanently living in the same residence and who maintain a single economic unit.
Apply online in 3 easy steps!
SPECIAL OFFERS FOR NEW MEMBERS
- Get $50 on us! – We’ll help build your new Membership by matching the $50 minimum balance requirement of your Membership Account when you open a credit card or loan† with us!
- Auto Loans – Get a .50% Rate Discount on New, Used, and Refinance Auto Loans1. Flexible terms up to 96 months and no application fee.
- Personal Loans – Special rate of 5.99% APR2. Loans up to $20,000 for qualified applicants, and we’ll waive the $25 application fee.
- Mortgages – $500 discount on the mortgage origination fee3. No cost pre-approvals, low closing costs, and 3% down payment options are available.
- Home Equity Lines of Credit – 0% APR4 for 6 months.
When applying for these offers use promo code NUT22 during checkout.
More great benefits:
- Deposits – Savings, Checking, and Certificates.
- ATMs Worldwide – Access to over 55,000 surcharge-free ATMs in the Allpoint Network
- TrueStage Insurance – Life insurance without all the hassle. No medical exams or tests—just a few questions.
- Proponent’s Auto Showroom – Take the guesswork out of car shopping. Search for a vehicle that fits your budget.
- Digital Banking – 24/7 access with mobile check deposit, ProRewards, external transfers, online bill pay, Personal Finance Manager and more!
Want to learn more about Proponent?
HOW WE BENEFIT YOU
- Unique offerings you won’t find at other financial institutions
- Loan decisions made locally with competitive rates
- Most transactions can be done through our Digital Banking platform available 24/7
- Share your membership benefits with your family
- Your accounts are insured by the National Credit Union Share Insurance Fund (NCUA)
How a Credit Union is Different Than a Bank
Credit unions provide traditional personal banking services, but as a member-owned not-for-profit cooperative, we provide an alternative to for-profit banks. Any profits made are returned back to members in the form of reduced fees, higher savings rates and lower loan rates.
Great low rates, flexible terms and YOU. Perfect together.
BECOME A PROPONENT SELECT EMPLOYER GROUP (SEG)
Proponent membership is a unique benefit that companies can offer employees.
Becoming a Proponent Select Employer Group (SEG) is simple and costs nothing. It allows a company to offer Proponent’s exclusive membership benefits to employees including a wide range of member-centric products, services and better rates. What’s more, it’s a benefit that employees have for life and can share with family members.
To become a SEG of Proponent, follow these procedures:
A company must complete the following two (2) documents:
The Letter of Intent must be on your company letterhead. Both documents must be signed and dated by the appropriate officer/owner. Address, phone number and email are required. Please also ensure the number of employees is filled in.
Each SEG request will be reviewed by both the National Credit Union Association (NCUA) and Proponent board members before a decision is rendered.
Currently, we are only seeking potential SEG approvals to businesses that are in Nutley NJ and adjacent municipalities as well as in Alamance County NC which is our primary business areas.
Email both completed forms to SEGApplications@profcu.org. Please allow 3-5 business days for a reply.
*Newark, NJ Post Office Employees are ineligible for Proponent membership because they are covered by Newark NJ PO Employees’ Credit Union.
†Offer available to select new Members. Limit one Credit Card or Loan (Mortgage, Home Equity, Auto, Personal) related reward/premium per Member. Membership eligibility required. $50 credited upon loan closing. Not eligible for the $50 if the loan is denied. Account is subject to approval. Promotion length is at the discretion of the Credit Union and subject to change. Promotion requires a promo code distributed to qualified applicants. A Credit Card balance transfer of at least $1000 or use card within 3 months with transactions of at least $1000. HELOC transactions of at least $1000 within 3 months are required. Subject to approval.
1APR = Annual Percentage Rate. Offer only available to select new Members and valid 60 days from date of membership. 0.50% rate discount is valid on all new, used and refinanced vehicles not currently financed with Proponent. Offer cannot be combined with any other offer. APR is based on credit worthiness, loan type, loan to value and term of the loan. Rate cannot be lower than 1.49%. Example monthly payment for a $20,000 New Auto loan at 1.49% for 48 months would be $429.49. Other restrictions may apply. Financing available up to 96 months on a New vehicle loan and 84 months on a Used, Refinance or Recreational vehicle loan. Rate and terms subject to change. Up to 100% financing available, based on NADA “retail” value. Restrictions apply on financing a vehicle with a Loan to Value over 100%. Length of promotion is at Proponent’s discretion. Promotion requires a promo code distributed to qualified applicants.
2APR = Annual Percentage Rate. 5.99% Personal loan offer is available to select new Members and valid 60 days from date of membership. Credit score of 640 or higher required based on scoring model used by Proponent. APR and loan amount vary due to an individual’s credit worthiness. Maximum loan amount is $20,000. Example monthly payment for a $20,000 loan at 5.99% APR for 60 months would be $386.59. Promotion length is at the discretion of the Credit Union and subject to change. Promotion requires a promo code distributed to qualified applicants.
3Offer only available to select new Members and valid 60 days from date of membership. $500 credited upon loan closing. Promotion length is at the discretion of the Credit Union and subject to change.
4HELOC = Home Equity Line of Credit. APR = Annual Percentage rate. The 0.00% APR is an introductory fixed rate for the first 6 months from the loan open date on new advances for qualified HELOC borrowers and are subject to credit approval. Refinancing within 24 months of existing Proponent HELOC does not qualify for the promotional rate. Offer subject to change without notice.
Promotional Information: Your monthly payment during the promotional period will be calculated on the total loan balance at the fully indexed rate. After an advance, the loan will recalculate out to a 240 month repayment and interest will be calculated on the advanced balance at the promotional rate. Rate after 6 months from the open date will float with the Prime Rate, under the terms of your credit line agreement.
Variable Annual Percentage Rate (APR) is based on The Wall Street Journal Prime Rate published on the last business day of the month minus 0.50% with a floor of 4.00%. Rates may vary depending on credit worthiness and value of your home. Loan to Value (LTV) and/or Combined LTV (CLTV) restrictions apply. Rates are subject to change without notice. Property must be an owner-occupied primary home. HELOC loans are available up to 95% Loan to Value on a 1-4 family home and up to 85% Loan to Value on condominiums/townhomes, in first or second lien positions. Not available for homes currently for sale.
Borrower required to pay for a title insurance policy for loan amounts over $200,000 and must pay certain fees to third parties to open the plan. These fees generally total between $0 and $4,000. If you ask, we will provide you with an itemization of the fees you will have to pay third parties.
The minimum loan amount is $7,500 and the maximum loan amount is $500,000. State specific tax fees may apply at closing. Homeowner’s insurance is required; flood insurance is required where applicable. Borrower may be charged up to $350.00 for fee reimbursement for any HELOC closed within 2 years from loan open date. Borrower must have automatic payment from a Proponent account.